Good High Elevation windows?
Last Post 29 Apr 2009 07:43 AM by richntiff. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

--
21 Apr 2009 08:44 AM
  Building in Colorado @9500 ft...and i am having trouble finding what feels like a good value on windows.  I am trying to buy from locals, feeling like they should know what is needed for my cabin, but they are not convincing me that they know their stuff.  I would like to get teh U adn SHGC low enough to qualify for the tax credit, but this is not a "Must-have".  Some manufacturers won't put ARgon into the windows, some do...some require the panes have valves to accomodate the pressure drop.

Any recommendations?  My budget is tight, but i will pay for a good combination of quality/price.

THanks.

KYle
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
21 Apr 2009 09:22 AM
That high up I would be wary of any kind of sealed glass units, vents would seem to be about the only way to go, so argon is out of the picture, but you can still have low-e coatings. One way to achieve a good U-value in this situation is to get a good window with two low-E coatings in a vented double pane, and then put a cheap single pane storm window on the outside. It keeps the weather off of your good window, extending it's life and helping prevent it fogging, and the system will perform about the same as a triple pane window.

--
21 Apr 2009 09:35 AM
I have not heard of any window manufacturers that will put argon in any window that is going to be sold to a area of high altitude. the reason that they have to put capillary tubes in windows going to a high altitude area is air pressure change from low altitude area to a high altitude area. A window that is manufacturered in Iowa or elsewhere in a low altitude area and than is transported to Colorado during transportation the glass in the window if no capillary tubes are installed will burst out due to the pressure change and since a capillary tube is used the unit is not considered a sealed unit and therefor argon gas can't be used.

Matthew Burr
Buyer - Windows and Doors
Village Home Center /dba Cooper Building Materials
Hot Springs Village, AR 71909
Email: mburr@cbmcci.com

--
23 Apr 2009 12:59 AM
Serious Windows 500 series, build right there in Boulder, CO (formerly Alpen Glass) Picture Window Specs.: U-Value of .18 & SHGC of .26 w/ no gas fill.

--
26 Apr 2009 10:15 AM

I am working with Milgard and Serious Windows now...i will do the "apple to apple" comparison and go with the best value.  Thanks for all the advice.

Kyle

--
28 Apr 2009 10:59 PM
Who does Serious get their window from? I saw it on another forum that they buy their "protrusions" from another company?
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
29 Apr 2009 07:43 AM
Serious windows are made entirely by the factory that used to be Alpen windows - the 'pultrusions' - these are the fiberglass elements that makeup the window frame, could very well be supplied by a fiberglass pultrusion company. Serious bought out Alpen last year...
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.1
Membership Membership: Latest New User Latest: optivent New Today New Today: 3 New Yesterday New Yesterday: 11 User Count Overall: 28961
People Online People Online: Visitors Visitors: 235 Members Members: 23 Total Total: 258

GreenBuildingTalk

Welcome to GreenBuildingTalk, the largest, most active forum on green building. While you can browse the site as a guest, you need to register in order to post.

Register Member Login Forum Home

Search Directory

Professionals Products

Get Free Quotes

Tell us about your building project and get free quotes from green building professionals. It's fast & easy! Click here to get your free quote.

Site Sponsors

For Advertising Info:
Call 866-316-5300 or 312-223-1600

Professionals Serving Your Area:

Newsletter

Read the latest GBT Newsletter!

Copyright 2011 by BuildCentral, Inc.   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement  Free Quotes  Professional Directory  Advertising Programs