Serious Windows or Inline Fiberglass in Ky?
Last Post 29 Oct 2012 04:25 PM by agbg44. 19 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

--
22 Mar 2011 12:45 PM
I was wondering if anyone in Kentucky has Serious Windows or Inline Fiberglass (out of canada) installed in their home?  I have been trying to talk to Serious about seeing some examples, but they don't have a dealer in kentucky and have been slow (never) about getting me references or examples of their product.  I feel a little uncomfortable shelling out $$$ without ever seeing the product beforehand. 

Also, if anyone has the Inline windows, what do you think about them?  I really like that they have so many more window and door options than Serious does but haven't seen a lot of feedback about them.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
22 Mar 2011 03:19 PM
If Serious is not responding promptly then look at windows made with European technology.  The windows are expensive but have great features.  Lately, I see some German made brands at almost every home show in various cities. 

What part of KY are you in.  I am from Ohio County, KY but have lived in Auburn AL since 1983.
Residential Designer & Construction Technology Consultant -- E-mail: Alton at Auburn dot Edu, 334 826-3979

--
22 Mar 2011 03:30 PM
Any German (or other) brands in particular? I've found I can spend all day looking at all the different options online, too many choices out there.

I may call Serious directly with my questions, so far I've been using their dealer out of Colorado and they've been helpful with pricing but haven't been able to give me any references around here.

I am in Lexington, Ky.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
22 Mar 2011 06:08 PM

On March 11th I talked to a Serious window distributor at a home show in Birmingham, AL.  He priced a dual pane window with film and argon for around $1400 for a mid-grade Serious window of nominal size.  Too rich for my clients.  If that much money is going to be spent then I would look at European technology with better features like tilt, turn, etc.

I have a client now in AL that is trying to get pricing info from Serious.  Let us see how that plays out.  We may have something to share later, if later ever arrives.

You would think that Serious would have a rep or dealer nearer than Colorado that could assist you in KY.

Since I have only seen the European technology at trade shows I can not recommend any certain brand.  Maybe someone on this forum would be kind enough to share their experience with these windows.  Every European window that I have seen was made in Germany.

Residential Designer & Construction Technology Consultant -- E-mail: Alton at Auburn dot Edu, 334 826-3979

--
22 Mar 2011 06:48 PM
Thanks Alton, I want to say my quote from Serious wasn't as high as that per window, but it was also their 525 series fiberglass type that I got a quote for.

I have very large double hung windows that I'm looking to replace -- one opening is about 60" x 56" and most of the other windows are about 80" tall x 28" wide -- and due to the size, casements aren't an option for most of them. Also, the main part of the house is a 100 year old Victorian so replacing with anything other than double hungs would seem out of place. I am looking at other window types for our addition though since those won't necessarily need to keep in character with the existing house. My quote from Serious for the 80 x 28 came in right around $850 including shipping for a 525 double hung.

Of course, I am still interested in paying less than that for a window, but would like it to still be high performance. Any German window manufacturer that anyone could recommend would be very helpful for me.

--
01 Apr 2011 11:51 AM
Inline and Serious are nearly the same window.  Serious gets their pultrusions from Inline and puts there own IGU's in them.  Otherwise the frames are nearly identical.  Serious just chooses not to offer some of the window lines, like a tilt / turn, that Inline makes.

I would be very fearful of suspended film if I was you.  Too many unanswered questions and a lack of long term performance.  Remove the suspended film IGU from a Serious window and they perform just about the same as Inline, Accurate Dorwin, ThermoTech etc...

True triple pane is still alive and kicking. 

--
05 Apr 2011 01:20 PM
Thanks michael, I read something similar and wasn't sure if Serious was still doing this or not. This whole window process has been pretty frustrating with certain mfg's being misleading about their products and then the prices are all over the place as well.

--
21 Apr 2011 07:59 PM
Windows are much like any retail product. You can't always trust everyone and probably should do your own research.

I sell windows for a living, but I'm not going to mention what ones.

What I will tell you is look for companies who build with tried and true, high quality materials.

Look for companies with track records and longevity.

--
29 Apr 2011 12:04 PM
Thanks for the advice Michael.

The number of window brands out there is truly mind-numbing and it has been very frustrating to try and get efficiency data from these reps, a lot of them are like "well, let us come out there and give you a quote and then we'll talk about it".

I think I may play around with something like Resfen and really figure out exactly what I need before committing to anything at this point.

Thanks,
Marli

--
29 Apr 2011 10:34 PM
To the best of my knowledge, Serious's DH with Heat Mirror has a U of.19 and Inline has a U of .20 with triple and Super Spacer....

Let me know about the prices....
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
05 May 2011 07:39 AM
marli;

from serious website    

SeriousGlass is critical in enabling high full-frame R-values of SeriousWindows for super-insulating performance. High R-value means excellent insulation, which can be the single most important characteristic of an energy efficient window (depending on climate zone). Vinyl replacement SeriousWindows offer full-frame R-values of up to 6.67 (U-factor of 0.15), and fiberglass-framed SeriousWindows reach full-frame R-values up to 11.1 (U-factor 0.09). In comparison, dual pane windows have an R-value of R-2.0 (U-Factor). Learn more about ENERGY STAR window performance requirements and high R-value of SeriousWindows.
Chris Kavala
info@southernsips dot com
1-877-321-SIPS
FL. Lic # CBC036455, GA Lic. RLCO000624, LA Lic. # CL33845

--
05 May 2011 09:46 AM
Chris

FYI, the R 11 window is a fiberglass fixed picture window with 2 or 3 coats of suspended film with Xenon gas. This was done for bragging rights as your ROI is not practical.

Regards

WR

--
26 May 2011 01:47 PM
There is a great window/door manufacturer located in Seattle, WA that manufactures high performance tilt-turn windows (HH Windows and Doors). I believe they ship nationwide. They offer tough, energy efficient windows and doors. Check them out!

--
26 May 2011 01:49 PM
I Should mention that although HH Windows & Doors is an American outfit, they manufacture only German/European window systems

--
26 May 2011 04:06 PM
Cmundro

Weren't you supposed to start off by saying" whoever wants to save money, put your hand up" or "ladies and gentlemen, do I have a deal for you".

Everyone don't buy from HH windows and doors because they are spammers. They only bring down the level of discussion.

Moderator, if you please, you know what to do...

--
08 Jun 2011 11:21 AM
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I'm a little envious of you guys that have heating-only climates or cooling-only climates, it seems to make the decision a bit easier. Here in KY we have 4755 heating degree days and 1489 cooling degree days. Still haven't had a chance to plug my numbers into something like resfen, but I think that will really be the decision maker.

At a recent home show in town, Gilkey windows looks pretty promising being a local company and supplying fiberglass windows. I've added them to my list to check out as well.

Thanks again!
Marli

--
27 Jun 2011 06:05 PM
Marli

Is that Gilkey Architectural you are referring to?

--
08 Jul 2011 08:57 AM
Michael, I believe it's just "Gilkey Windows", but they have several window types and I'm not sure if one is labeled as Architectural or not.

--
14 Jul 2011 06:50 PM
Marli,

A little investigation tells me it is as I suspected.  Gilkey Architectural is a dealership.  You are being confused by rebranding.

They sell Unilux and Kolbe & Kolbe.  Not positive about their aluminum window.

Unilux is very nice, and somewhat pricey.

--
29 Oct 2012 04:25 PM
Yes we have installed Inline casement windows Quads for the University of Louisvile contact Dr. Sharpe at The speed school for a research program for renewable energy. Phillip Martin www.agreenbuildinggroup.com
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.1
Membership Membership: Latest New User Latest: ch barber New Today New Today: 3 New Yesterday New Yesterday: 3 User Count Overall: 28484
People Online People Online: Visitors Visitors: 330 Members Members: 20 Total Total: 350

GreenBuildingTalk

Welcome to GreenBuildingTalk, the largest, most active forum on green building. While you can browse the site as a guest, you need to register in order to post.

Register Member Login Forum Home

Search Directory

Professionals Products

Get Free Quotes

Tell us about your building project and get free quotes from green building professionals. It's fast & easy! Click here to get your free quote.

Site Sponsors

For Advertising Info:
Call 866-316-5300 or 312-223-1600

Professionals Serving Your Area:

Newsletter

Read the latest GBT Newsletter!

Copyright 2011 by BuildCentral, Inc.   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement  Free Quotes  Professional Directory  Advertising Programs