mounting horizontal bathroom fan vertically. is it wrong?
Last Post 30 Nov 2009 05:13 PM by glenfotre. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

--
03 Nov 2009 07:03 PM
Is it wrong to install a bathroom fan in a wall even thought the instructions only explain installation between trusses, in a ceiling/floor?
I can't run the vent duct horizontal for the stated minimum length of 2-3 feet, but if I mounted the fan in a wall I could run the duct straight up without any bends.
Anybody got any ideas?

--
21 Nov 2009 06:17 AM
Most bath exhaust fans can be mounted vertically in a wall, in fact some installation manuals will mention that wall mounting is an option. I often mount fans in interior, never exterior, wall stud spaces because it avoids an additional large penetration through the "vapor barrier" in high-moisture area of the house and it doesn't reduce depth of attic insulation at that point (I'm in a cold climate in Wisconsin). The fan can be ducted to vent up or down, depending upon shortest route and most practical location for a wall cap. I avoid vents through the roof. The fan won't vent with a foot of snow over the roof cap.

--
21 Nov 2009 10:27 AM
Great.
Thanks
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
22 Nov 2009 09:05 AM
Posted By GAW on 11/03/2009 7:03 PM
Is it wrong to install a bathroom fan in a wall even thought the instructions only explain installation between trusses, in a ceiling/floor?
I can't run the vent duct horizontal for the stated minimum length of 2-3 feet, but if I mounted the fan in a wall I could run the duct straight up without any bends.
Anybody got any ideas?
If the instructions don't mention wall install, then I would not do it, as the bearings will burn out quicker

Chris Kavala
info@southernsips dot com
1-877-321-SIPS
FL. Lic # CBC036455, GA Lic. RLCO000624, LA Lic. # CL33845

--
22 Nov 2009 07:51 PM
That's what I was fearing, I imagine these fans were designed and balanced specifically for horizontal placement unless otherwise stated.
I thought about calling their support line but I imagine the person on the other end would know even less about the technical aspects than most people on this forum.

--
30 Nov 2009 05:13 PM
I'd contact the fan manufacturer for their opinion. If they say it is OK, get it in writing.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.1
Membership Membership: Latest New User Latest: luke barnes New Today New Today: 0 New Yesterday New Yesterday: 1 User Count Overall: 29064
People Online People Online: Visitors Visitors: 584 Members Members: 16 Total Total: 600

GreenBuildingTalk

Welcome to GreenBuildingTalk, the largest, most active forum on green building. While you can browse the site as a guest, you need to register in order to post.

Register Member Login Forum Home

Search Directory

Professionals Products

Get Free Quotes

Tell us about your building project and get free quotes from green building professionals. It's fast & easy! Click here to get your free quote.

Site Sponsors

For Advertising Info:
Call 866-316-5300 or 312-223-1600

Professionals Serving Your Area:

Newsletter

Read the latest GBT Newsletter!

Copyright 2011 by BuildCentral, Inc.   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement  Free Quotes  Professional Directory  Advertising Programs