Bracing short walls (4' or less) ?
Last Post 04 Jan 2010 07:43 PM by TB MACS. 11 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

--
29 Dec 2009 12:17 AM

I have only poured walls 8' or higher which obviously is easy and very effective to brace (I have used Hilltop systems and now own Reechcraft 8' bracing).  Does anyone have any two cents about bracing 4' walls?  I am doing a 4' pour (crawlspace) followed by an 8' pour on top for an upcoming job and it is crucial that the 4' ICF foundation be perfectly plumb and straight (270 LF).  It has been suggested to me to brace it will 2x4's diagonally around the entire wall system and adjust it by hand after pouring (2 lifts).  I am a little skeptical that will be effective, and not a safety risk when making adjustments.  Any input would be greatly appreciated. THanks!
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
29 Dec 2009 07:19 AM
Use the internal bracing system that many icf companies sell. It will give you straight walls on a four ft. pour. Also attach your ledger board before the pour and brace with 2x4's.

--
29 Dec 2009 06:43 PM
Sting it then use one continous 2x4 braced every 6 feet inside and out if you are worried.

Add if you do put your ledger in prior to the pour which you obviously should that will keep everything very square. If you pour 8' walls this will be no problem

--
29 Dec 2009 07:40 PM
why would you put the ledger (Im assuming rim joist) on before the pour? I generally place my Simpson ties in the ICF, pour concrete, and then lazer a level line and attach the rim joist to the Simpson ties... that seems like it would be the best way to guarantee a level floor that is hanging off the rim joist on the inside of the ICF wall
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
29 Dec 2009 07:47 PM
On 4' frost walls we put on the Reechcraft strong-backs horizontally, approximately level with grade. Then we put two or three turnbuckles per strong-back for adjusting.
Brad Kvanbek - ICFconstruction.net
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
30 Dec 2009 06:25 AM
You screw your rim joist into the web with simpson bracket behind it. After the pour you can relevel if needed and attach it with the other part of the bracket.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
30 Dec 2009 08:46 AM
Wood is not as straight as an aluminum or steel strong-back.
Brad Kvanbek - ICFconstruction.net

--
30 Dec 2009 05:47 PM
Thanks ICFconstruction, thats what I was after, I will either do it the way you suggested or just brace normally as I would on a taller wall.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
31 Dec 2009 12:13 AM
I would think with only a 4' high wall that you could internally brace it at the top with wire ladder type reinforcement, externally brace the corners well with 2x lumber and kickers, and run a tight nylon string line along the top outer edge of the forms. Nothing is going to be straighter between point A and point B than a tight nylon string. Then all you would have to do is push or pull the top of the wall if needed during the pour to insure it remained aligned with the string. And if you start with the forms properly aligned with the string prior to the pour and the footings are good and level, little if any adjustment during the pour would likely be required.
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
31 Dec 2009 06:45 AM
Ideal project for a mono-pour.
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
04 Jan 2010 11:08 AM
Vertical 2x screwed to the blocks with spacing as a 8' wall would need complimented by a diagonal well anchored to the ground and string line on top of wall will give you plumb walls no problem. We just did so about two months ago and all is well. Plumbness was very important since we added 16' above the frost wall. There shouldn't be much compression since it's only 4'.
Good Luck!

--
04 Jan 2010 07:43 PM
Once we level and foam our walls to the footings, we attach a 2X horizontal around the top course. This will allow you to attach your turn buckle to the wall and adjust in or out to string lines pulled from corner to corner. We also use turn buckles on corners that have long walls so they dont push.We adjust walls before pour and only attach turnbuckles if needed, after placement of concrete laser level the top, check corners for plum, and attach turn buckles where needed to tweek wall.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TB MACS -------BUILDING THE CAROLINAS ONE BLOCK AT A TIME!
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.1
Membership Membership: Latest New User Latest: curts New Today New Today: 2 New Yesterday New Yesterday: 5 User Count Overall: 28465
People Online People Online: Visitors Visitors: 303 Members Members: 30 Total Total: 333

GreenBuildingTalk

Welcome to GreenBuildingTalk, the largest, most active forum on green building. While you can browse the site as a guest, you need to register in order to post.

Register Member Login Forum Home

Search Directory

Professionals Products

Get Free Quotes

Tell us about your building project and get free quotes from green building professionals. It's fast & easy! Click here to get your free quote.

Site Sponsors

For Advertising Info:
Call 866-316-5300 or 312-223-1600

Professionals Serving Your Area:

Newsletter

Read the latest GBT Newsletter!

Copyright 2011 by BuildCentral, Inc.   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement  Free Quotes  Professional Directory  Advertising Programs