What are the most common concrete thicknesses of ICF walls?
Last Post 31 Mar 2010 10:35 AM by renangle. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

--
29 Mar 2010 11:26 AM

8" use to be the most common for poured walls.

Are the thicker walls for commercial or perhaps for seismic areas?

Thanks
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
29 Mar 2010 12:38 PM
Kevin M,

I would say that if there is any backfill where you have a basement or ranch style house, 8" ICF block would be the most common. Above grade, I believe that 6" ICF is the most common. I guess that I can say this is true for me at least.

As for commerical, it would depend on what the Engineer decides as to the block thickness and rebar schedule. If you can give me information, then a more detailed answer may be possible.

renangle
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
30 Mar 2010 09:53 AM
Ren is correct. 8" below grade, tall walls is typical, also 10" and 12" to a lesser extent -- 6" is by far the most common above grade and is sometimes used to 8 stories load bearing. RE: 4" -- Many installers prefer 6" over 4" because its easier to consolidate. As a result, some installers actually charge a little more (labor cost) to install 4" than 6". Thermal capacitance is significantly better with 6" than 4". Regards.
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
31 Mar 2010 07:54 AM
In our ontario region, 8'' is not the common core size. Unless specified by engineer because of a sloped land or high backfill with tall walls the 8'' is not dominant. Seismic also plays a big role in core size. 6'' is what we mainly see and in my opinion you get best bang for the buck.

--
31 Mar 2010 09:49 AM
Thanks for the replies.

So if you started with a 6 inch below grade, then you would stay that way all the way up?

What about a brick ledge. If you were doing that would you start at 8 and reduce to 6"

What are the 10 and 12" used for?

I'm designing an ICF system and wondered what the most common sizes are.
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
31 Mar 2010 10:07 AM
This is a somewhat large file (about 10 Meg).   However, it contains some examples that might be useful to you including a form transition from 8" to 6" etc. etc.   Regards.

http://www.futurestone.com/...ctions.pdf

Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
31 Mar 2010 10:12 AM
P.S. 10" and 12" ofter used for more than typical basements with taller walls, retaining walls, and/or tall walls such as school gyms, cafeterias, movie theaters (although 8" is common there as well) etc. Often instead of going to the trouble and labor expense of adding pilasters to an 8" wall --- an engineer will elect to use a 10" or 12" wall for a gym. Gym pics will be on above site soon if they aren't already. REgards.
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
31 Mar 2010 10:35 AM
Many of the major ICF manufactures makes a brickledge, so if you need one that would be the best way to go. If you were to go from a 8" wall to a 6" wall you would not be able to set a brick on the outer edge as it would just lay on the foam.

If you went from a 12" below grade ICF wall to a 6" above grade wall you could set the brick, but unless the engineering require a 12" thick ICF wall it would be more cost effective to use a brickledge in my opinion.

If I were to start with a 6" block below grade, I would continue with 6" above grade as well.

renangle
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.1
Membership Membership: Latest New User Latest: Joe123 New Today New Today: 0 New Yesterday New Yesterday: 2 User Count Overall: 28608
People Online People Online: Visitors Visitors: 302 Members Members: 23 Total Total: 325

GreenBuildingTalk

Welcome to GreenBuildingTalk, the largest, most active forum on green building. While you can browse the site as a guest, you need to register in order to post.

Register Member Login Forum Home

Search Directory

Professionals Products

Get Free Quotes

Tell us about your building project and get free quotes from green building professionals. It's fast & easy! Click here to get your free quote.

Site Sponsors

For Advertising Info:
Call 866-316-5300 or 312-223-1600

Professionals Serving Your Area:

Newsletter

Read the latest GBT Newsletter!

Copyright 2011 by BuildCentral, Inc.   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement  Free Quotes  Professional Directory  Advertising Programs