Concrete slab edge interior insulation length extension
Last Post 18 May 2024 12:34 PM by newbostonconst. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

--
15 May 2024 12:05 PM
Hi to all, I have been going in circles about something and I would like to share my conclusions about it. The issue is the following: I have a series of concrete slabs that stick out from the facade, this is a design imposition given by the architect. I have to estimate how much insulation should extend to the interior, that is the length (distance in the attached drawing). To my understanding, the only method to address this is to calculate for different lengths the PSI value and draw a curve to see when the impact starts to stabilize. Is there any other method or recommendation about how to address this? Thanks

Attachment: jpeg-optimizer_IMG_20240515_133400_650.jpg
Attachment: jpeg-optimizer_IMG_20240515_133555_537.jpg
Attachment: Insulation_interior_length.png

Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
16 May 2024 09:34 AM
I would spare no expense on getting at least one inch of xps insulation to cover that concrete on the outside....These types of architects suck......

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlins

--
16 May 2024 11:18 AM
Hi Newbostonconst, Thank you for your reply. However, the architect is looking for a bare concrete look, so no insulation is to be added on the edge. Is there any recommendation about how to address this? I was thinking on doing a sensitivity analysis with different lengths to the interior and selected the option when the PSI stabilizes, but I am still not sure if this is the right method. Thanks

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
16 May 2024 03:20 PM
Have you considered stuccoing the edge insulation to protect it and make it look like concrete?

Residential Designer &
Construction Technology Consultant -- E-mail: Alton at Auburn dot Edu Use email format with @ and period .
334 826-3979

--
17 May 2024 08:28 AM
Thank you for your response Alton. I don't think however that is the same look. The architect was very clear about this solution.

Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
18 May 2024 12:34 PM
Your architect needs to be fired and is an idiot....

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlins
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.1
Membership Membership: Latest New User Latest: devoraharvey New Today New Today: 0 New Yesterday New Yesterday: 0 User Count Overall: 34765
People Online People Online: Visitors Visitors: 88 Members Members: 0 Total Total: 88
Copyright 2011 by BuildCentral, Inc.   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement